Neck & Back Pain, Sciatica
Dr. Wasserman employs chiropractic techniques for treatment of back pain caused by mechanical strain or physical stressors such as poor posture, sedentary lifestyle or repetitive motion. He can also address back pain related to joint inflammation or stenosis.
Sciatica is a painful nerve disorder that presents in the legs and is caused by compression of the sciatic nerve in the lower back. The compression can be due to a herniated disc, cysts, tumors, or a misalignment in the joint. Chiropractic manual cervical manipulation can be applied to relieve debilitating sciatic nerve pain.
Neck pain can be caused by several factors. Moderate to less severe afflictions associated with neck pain can be treated with spinal adjustments and soft tissue massage using chiropractic care. If you're experiencing severe neck pain or numbness that radiates into your limbs you may need to seek emergency medical treatment. Similarly, if you have fever, headache or if you're vomiting, you should seek emergency medical treatment.
In our chiropractic practice we focus on Functional Wellness to help prevent and treat our patients' chronic pain throughout the body. Our focused elements include dietary supplementation and nutritional therapy; pain management using spinal alignment, manual manipulation, mindfulness, meditation; and targeted exercise.
Physiotherapy, also called the science of movement, employs specific exercises in conjunction with chiropractic adjustments to reduce pain and discomfort from injuries while also strengthening and toning the body. This treatment plan is designed to reduce pain and discomfort to allow for improved physical movement, range of motion and flexibility.
We invite you to browse our website to learn more about how we can help you on your path to wellness. Take a virtual tour of our office. Find out what to expect on your first chiropractic visit to our Los Alamitos office. We offer several forms electronically that can be downloaded and completed prior to your first visit. Call us to schedule a comprehensive consultation and evaluation through conversation and physical examination. We are available to address any questions you have related to your course of treatment.
How Chiropractic Treatment Can Help With Sciatica
Are you considering chiropractic care for debilitating sciatica in Los Alamitos, CA? Our chiropractor, Steven B. Wasserman, R. N., D. C., can help. We use state-of-the-art methods to diagnose and treat lower back pain and other symptoms linked to a pinched sciatic nerve. All treatment techniques and therapies are performed without using drugs, surgery, or other invasive approaches. You can also benefit from functional wellness care to improve immune health and restore balance.
Sciatica and Its Causes
Sciatica means pain resulting from an inflamed, irritated, or compressed sciatic nerve. There are two of these nerves, each running from the lower back through the buttocks, into the thighs, and down to the feet. The nerve on one side of the body is normally affected, causing symptoms on either side of the lower body. The nerve can get pinched due to a bulging or herniated disc, spinal arthritis, or:
- Lumbar spinal stenosis, which is a narrowed spinal canal
- Spondylolisthesis, a slipping of the backbone
- Pressure on the lower back from obesity or pregnancy
- Lifestyle habits such as lack of exercise, bad posture, or poor back support
- Degenerative disc disease, an break down of the intervertebral disc
Symptoms of Sciatica
Some patients complain of sharp shooting or burning lower back pain that makes them unable to walk or sit without discomfort. Pain may move to the buttock, back of the leg, feet, or toes. You may also experience numbness or tingling in these areas. Loss of foot sensation is also common.
Chiropractic Treatment for Sciatica by a Los Alamitos Chiropractor
Dr. Steven Wasserman will carefully evaluate you first before setting up a customized wellness plan. The evaluation typically includes a physical exam, neurological test, or to confirm sciatic nerve issues. Here are some integrative wellness approaches you can benefit from:
- Spinal Realignment: Dr. Wasserman may use the Diversified, Gonstead, Palmer, or Activator methods to safely and gently realign the spinal joints. Restoring the spine takes pressure off a slipped disc and moves it away from the nerve. It relieves pain, inflammation, numbness, and tingling, stimulates natural healing, and improves nervous system function.
- Physiotherapy: Involves therapies such as ultrasound, electric muscle stimulation, therapeutic stretches, and corrective exercises. These are all-natural non-invasive ways to further heal and strengthen the body.
- Preventative Care: Patients can continue to receive routine adjustments to maintain good posture and prevent nerve compression. We can also explain how nutrition and lifestyle changes can boost your overall health.
Chiropractic Care for The Entire Family
Take advantage of an opportunity to live active and pain-free with holistic wellness care at Steven B. Wasserman, R. N., D. C. Our chiropractor can help if you live in Los Alamitos, CA, or nearby. Call 562-430-4949 to request an appointment today.